I've got lots of fun memories of sleepovers growing up, but some of those memories are also tinged with things that make me totally nervous now that I'm a parent. What do you all think about slumber parties/sleepovers for your kids?
I just read this article about slumber parties and parenting today, and I think it's totally worth reading for all you parents out there faced with the decision: do we let our children stay overnight in somebody else's home when we're not there, and in a place where we don't have control over what may or may not be going on?
Read the article HERE and let me know what you think!!!
oops! that was emily, not jeff. sorry! :)
ReplyDeletei totally agree!! if i think about my kids doing at sleepovers what I did (and not that anything was THAT bad) i would definitely say no to sleepovers. it will totally depend on how well i know the family and their standards whether or not i will let my kids sleepover. sleepovers at my house will always be allowed!! and of course with cousins!
ReplyDeleteSince I don't have kids, it's probably foolish of me to opine, and yet....
ReplyDeleteI had A LOT of sleepovers and slumber parties when I was a kid, and I loved them. They are some of the best memories of my childhood. Even my very first one where my friend's parents were apparently really into hunting and had animal heads all over the family room where we slept. I'd never seen such things, and it really freaked me out.
Anyway, I'd allow my (hypothetical) kids to participate in slumber parties as long as I knew the kids and families involved and was comfortable with them. And I'd allow them at my own house.
yep. i don't know about them either.
ReplyDeleteI personally found the article a bit extreme, but I do agree with the idea of perhaps letting your children participate in some of the activities, and then picking them up at 10 to go home,,,not an issue in our home yet, but it is something to think about!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read the article yet, but I'm strongly opinion-ed on the topic. I think a great alternative is pajama parties. A friend of mine lets her kids get into their pjs then go over to the neighbors to watch a pre-approved movie and stay up late. She goes to pick them up "late" and they still get a decent nights sleep.
ReplyDelete