Saturday, April 12, 2014

How to do an Online Garage Sale

Alright. I've had a few online moving sales over the last few years (with huge success, I might add!) and a lot of my friends have been asking me to come and help THEM with their decluttering!

I've given this a lot of thought, and I have decided that the easiest way to help all of you, my friends, is to just lay it all out here :) You're welcome :)


So. In order to have a successful online sale, I always follow these steps:

1. Make a list or a pile of the things you want to get rid of. A pile is great if you don't have too many items and want to keep everything in one place. A list (I keep mine in my phone) is wonderful if you are sort of thinking about your sale over time, and just don't want to move things around but also don't want to forget anything. If you do a list, a good idea is to also make a note of WHERE each item is, so when you DO sell it, you don't lose the sale for not being able to find it ;)

Now that we are done moving for awhile, I am planning on doing an annual spring sale. Which means, I am keeping a list in my phone and keeping track of items for an entire year in preparation. I don't want to forget things, and I know that my phone is a safe place to write things down.

2. Take pictures of everything. If you have a nice camera, use it. I think we all know from Pinterest-experience - a good picture is worth a thousand words, AND it is addictive. If people can make random food pictures look amazing, like something you want to eat, then why can't we take glamour shots of the things we are trying to sell?

Good pictures shouldn't lie though - take pictures of all angles, up close, from far away, of the good sides AND the bad. My theory is that the more pictures there are of something (within reason, of course) the more people will feel like they "know" the item and you, and the more attached they will be to wanting to own that item themselves. If the price is right, even if the item isn't "new", it will still sell if you are honest.

If I am taking pictures of clothing, I always take pictures of tags. This saves me the trouble of going back later to check on sizes. It also provides information about what kind of material was used to make the article of clothing. And lastly, clothing labels will show how old the item is. If the item is brand new or almost new, you'll usually be able to tell for sure from the labels - how crisp the writing is, how shiny the fabric still is, etc. Also, people will like to see what the brand is.

When I do my pictures, I try to fit everything into ONE image. So even if I have an item that has a lot of pictures, I try to fit everything into one scene to make it easier for shoppers to flip through. Depending on my selling venue and how I organize. If I am creating an entire album for a single item (ie a facebook album for just that listing, or a kijiji ad for just that one thing) then go picture happy unedited. But if I have a "furniture" album on facebook, I figure people don't want to waste time flipping through a zillion pictures of something they have already decided they aren't interested in in order to get to the next item.


On the flip to having one image per item, also be thorough. If I'm looking for kids' clothes, I will generally skip over any ads that say "Lot of 50 girls' clothing items, $30" or whatever bulk ad. As a buyer, I can't tell what is in that lot, if I like them, if they're worn, if they match, what the brands are, etc.

When I sell baby/kids' clothing, I take the time to create ensembles and take pictures of each grouping. I figure I am much more likely to sell an "outfit" than a pair of pants that may or may not match anything else. Plus this way, I am selling more at once, and taking fewer pictures while still taking pictures of everything. Am I ever likely to buy a single pair of used infant tights? Not so much. But, add that pair of tights to a coordinated outfit, and suddenly it's gold.


3. Decide on your selling venue. 
  • I prefer Facebook. I have actually set up a group called Spackman's Online Garage Sale that is just for me and my sale items. There are lots of groups by region like this on Facebook, but I like having my own. The benefits for me as the owner is that it is easy for me to control what is getting posted and stay organized, and the benefit for my group members is that everything that they see will be available for pick up in the same place. When I post in this group, I don't post anything until I have collected pictures of EVERYTHING I am going to sell. There is nothing worse than buying something from someone, making the trip out to pick it up, and then the next day, have the seller list something else that you want to buy. And as the seller, I figure I'm more likely to lose sales if I do that, because people don't want to make lots of trips to the same place for dollar items. Best to do it all at once. Once a year :)

    When I post things on Facebook, I always list things for CHEAPER than I would on a more public venue, because in this situation, I am selling to my friends. And generally, I just want these things to go away. And because they are my friends, I also know that they are more likely to follow through on picking items up when they say they will, or at the very least, they will be more considerate in letting me know if they are running late or unable to come.

    The downside to selling on Facebook is that everybody on Facebook then sees that you are selling stuff :) Which means, if you are selling anything that, for example, was a gift... there is some tact required! ie don't sell it on facebook ;)
  • My other favorite place to sell is Kijiji. I don't know about other places, but it is is pretty big here in Calgary. My understanding is that it is similar to Craigslist. It is FREE :)

    Again, make sure to have at least one good picture. The more, the better.

    When I sell on Kijiji, I generally tack a little bit more on to the price, because people are more likely to haggle on Kijiji. Very rarely do my friends on facebook haggle with me. If something of mine doesn't sell on facebook, I'll usually put it up on kijiji, and add a bit more to the price. 
Something I have done a lot is put everything up on my facebook group, and then post the link to my actual group into other groups or selling venues. That way, I don't have to re-upload all of my photos and re-create all of my listings in multiple places (and therefore delete ads from multiple places) but I am still advertising to a broader audience. In my experience, this has worked well! 


4.  Figure out your prices. I generally follow a few rules when I price things out: 
  • Set a price that I myself would be excited to find this item for at a garage sale or online. Be honest with yourself. That being said, these are your things. Sometimes we have an emotional bond to something, and while we want it gone, we don't want it gone for a dollar. Like, if somebody is gonna take this precious item away from you, you want to feel like you were paid well for it.

    I recently sold a table that we didn't have room for. I LOVED this table. It was my craft table. I sewed receiving blankets and burp cloths for my babies. Halloween costumes. Nursery decor. It was a SOLID table. Well crafted. Anyway, so we didn't have room for this table anymore though, and so it needed to go. BUT, I couldn't just let it go for a song and a dance. I priced it a little bit higher than I would normally have priced it. So when it went, I felt good about letting it go.

    So, emotional bonds. However, the real honest truth is, most of our things are just THINGS and they don't REALLY matter to us. Mostly, when you are planning a garage sale, it is because you have an abundance of stuff taking up space in your home. So let it go.
  • I always prefer cash when I sell things. It is the easiest and simplest way to receive payment. So knowing that, I try to make it easy on people when I price things. None of this "99cents" business. Keep it simple. What are the denominations of currency? I generally stick to $1, $2 (toonies in Canada) $5, $10, and then multiples of $20 for larger items, so that a person could go straight to the ATM and then to my house. Only if I am really on the fence about the price of something will I go into mixing, like $15 or $25, or even $3 or $7, etc. I try to keep it simple.
  • If you don't know what to price an item for, look it up. Remember that used items go for a FRACTION of the original price. A good way to determine what to sell something at is to go online to your local kijiji or craigslist site and look up similar items to see what other people are selling their "that-thing" for and price yours accordingly. Or go to amazon.com and see what it costs new (if you bought yours THAT long ago, or it was a gift, or you just plain out don't remember) and then divide it in half. And half again. And maybe even half again and again depending on how old or how worn it is.
  • Honestly, if I don't value something at even $1, I will list it "Free with Purchase". After years of doing online garage sales, I have learned that there will ALWAYS be people who will ONLY sign up for your free items. And, I'm sorry, but unless it is a large item that is taking up way too much space in my home, it is not worth my time to arrange and wait for pickup for a few small free items. Because, stereotypically, those same people who are only willing to take free items are generally the ones who are not considerate enough to be on time, or let me know they are going to be late, or not planning on showing up after all. I figure if retail stores can have things "Free with Purchase", so can I. Plus, extra incentive for those people who actually are purchasing from me :)
  • When I'm putting things together for my sales, my husband will often roll his eyes and say "Seriously? Nobody is going to buy that. Don't take the time to set it aside, take a picture, list it, etc. Just pitch it! It isn't worth the dollar or so you're going to get for it!" To this, I say Small Change ADDS UP and is definitely not a waste of time! Besides which, the more you list at a time in a sale, the more people will have to look at and be interested in. Somewhere along the way in a class somewhere, I was told that studies of shopping habits have shown that if a person is already purchasing an item in a store, they are more likely to purchase MORE from that same store. Stores everywhere build on this - hence all the tiny items waiting for you to look at them in the checkout line :) So, in summary: lots of little items means lots to draw people in, and lots to add up.

5. Create your Listings. This is the place to put it all together! Your pictures, your prices (I usually just wait and set the prices at this step) and the details about your items. A few tips: 
  • If it is an item where measurements might matter, be sure to include those measurements. You know people are going to ask for them before they commit to purchasing! Same goes for sizes for clothing and shoes. 
  • Be honest. If there is a rip or a scratch somewhere, say that. If there is a piece missing, don't lie about it. People might still be interested, especially if it is an easy fix. Or better yet, if it is an easy fix, fix it up a bit before you list it. 
  • On the flip side of that, if an item is "BRAND NEW" or "NEVER USED" or "RARE" then say that too! New generally sells well :) 
  • If your item for sale is something common, list the name. For example: Ikea items have great resell value, because it is super easy to hop on to their website, figure out what it cost new and what else it matches with. Especially if you are listing someplace like kijiji - if somebody is looking for that SPECIFIC item, they will be searching by that name. 
  • When you list an item someplace like kijiji, put in all of the key words applicable, so that if somebody is searching, they won't miss your listing. For example, if I am looking for a night stand, but somebody has listed theirs as "night table", then I am not going to find their ad in my kijiji search. Better to just say "night stand table" and hit all of your bases. 
  • Use correct grammar and spelling. People like dealing with smart people. When you're online, people will judge you, and judge whether or not they want to deal with you, based on how you present yourself. And while a poor picture can be a matter of lack of equipment, most everybody has access to good grammar and spelling. 
6. Arrange for Pick Ups. This is where it gets Real :) You've put in all of the work, and now it is time to reap the rewards. 

Let your buyers know that they can communicate with you! If you are available by email, phone, facebook, texting, whatever, let people know so that you can communicate with them in their preferred 'language'. 

When people reply to ads, I try to respond promptly. When I buy things, I hate when I reply to an ad and nobody gets back to me for days before I hear anything. Even if I have tentatively sold an item, I will still reply to other people who ask, to let them know it is tentatively sold but that if pickup falls through, I will get back to them. 

If you WANT to offer delivery, you totally can. I generally don't, because I hate the thought of driving across the city with something, only to have the person either not be home, or change their mind, or whatever. Maybe if they paid me by e-transfer beforehand or something, plus delivery fees. 

Once you and the buyer have set up the date and time for picking up an item, make sure to be home! Make sure that you can hear the doorbell, or that you have your phone on you in case somebody gets lost and tries to call for directions.


BE SAFE. If you are advertising on kijiji or craigslist, or even dealing with random people you don't know from facebook, you are essentially inviting strangers to your home. Be careful. Have your items for sale ready by the front door, so as to discourage any lingering strangers and to avoid leaving strangers unsupervised in your home. Be aware of any red flags in your communication leading up to the pick up. If you feel like things might be off, arrange to have somebody over at the same time as the pickup is supposed to happen. Or arrange to meet in a public place. At the very least, pretend to be on the phone to discourage any funny business! 
Once I sold our car, and it was a man that I didn't know who replied first to my ad. I had arranged to have my neighbor's husband over for this guy to test drive, but the timing fell apart and it was just me. I didn't invite him in, and went outside right away instead. Rather than get into my car with him to test drive, I took the guy's driver's license and waited on the sidewalk for him to drive up and down the street and come back. Perfectly nice guy, and the sale was just fine, but you never know! Better to be safe than sorry! 
A few more things... 
Remember that no sale is final until the cash is in your hand and that item is trotting out your door with a happy new owner. I always try to have my house tidy and clean and clean SMELLING when I am expecting somebody. I don't want somebody coming to my house to buy my old stuff, only to change their mind because they think the items are coming from a yucky house. People can be funny, right? Nip any possibility of badness in the bud! 

Hopefully your prices are so simple that you don't actually need change, but on the off chance that somebody is picking up something for a dollar, and they've only got a $20 (thanks, ATM!) it is handy to have change on hand. The more you sell, the more change you'll have. 

Also, sometimes people buy lots of little things! If you're able to give that person a bag (y'know, from the grocery store) to carry it all away, they'll be that much happier. Then, next time you have an online sale, they hopefully won't hesitate to purchase from you again. And to tell all their friends about your sale. Plus, good way to get rid of your excess plastic bags ;) 

And of course, once the item is gone, delete your ad. You're done! :) 

If you're wanting to keep track of what you've made, or who bought what, or how much you actually sold That Thing for... I use a spreadsheet. You can download it here. I generally like to play with colors and highlighting to keep track of whether or not people have picked up yet, or what day to expect them, etc. 

I hope this has been helpful! And if you sell stuff online, be sure to invite me! I love garage sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment