Thursday, March 13, 2008

Drummer Boys



A friend of mine took this picture in Brazil, and my first thought looking at it was "wouldn't it be great if all of my music students were so eager to make music that they used whatever they could as an instrument?"

It also reminded me of one of the best musical performances I've ever seen:
My dad and I were walking through downtown Washington D.C. (I don't remember why!) and we happened to pass through a music festival that day. There were booths selling things, and people playing instruments, etc. but the one that stands out in my mind was just a black kid with drum sticks playing on a white bucket. And sometimes on the ground or his shoes or whatever else he could reach. That was it. But he was amazing! the rhythms that this kid produced were just crazy-insane!

I think that a lot of my students whose parents pay for music lessons just don't realize how lucky they are! And until they witness something like that, they probably won't realize that music lessons are a blessing, not a burden!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! It seems like parents are focing their children into lessons and that kids just don't appreciate the finer things in life.

    ReplyDelete